Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sorority Girl Revelation

(obvi not my pic)

So the Greek community has been facing a lot of negative publicity these days, starting with hazing and racial discrimination and cunt punting.  And obviously, these cases are all very cringe-worthy and embarrassing and gross, and I'm super glad that something is being done about them.  And I'm also super glad that the majority of the Greeks across the country are coming together to point out the wrong.

Snaps to that!

And now I'm going to share more things about being in Greek that deserve snaps, specifically as a sorority sister.  Of course, I can't speak for every sorority girl out there, but I hope that many of you will find yourselves nodding along to some of my realizations:


One.
Friends.  Oh my god, I can't even start with this one.  And don't give me the whole "you're buying your friends" spiel, because that doesn't even make sense.  Like, you can't buy friendship, especially true friendship.  Plus, if I could pay for the friends that I have now, I'm seriously underpaying.

I've met some of the best people by joining my sorority, by going to mixers and formals and whatever else, and by starting conversations with, "wait, you're a Greek, too?"  And don't forget about the alumni, because they're still there to play with you.  Honestly, I can't think of anything better for networking than being in Greek.

Also, my sorority family.  I finally got a little last year, and I actually teared up in the middle of a Madeon concert when I found out that I got her.  And now she's going to be in England with me -- eeeeeeeek!

God, now I'm getting all sentimental about my friends.  Literally missing them all so much that it hurts.


Two.
You always have someone to sit with on the first day of class.  Unless you're taking obscure classes like Japanese (oh hey), there is a super high chance that you will have at least one sister in your class.  And while this sounds like a silly biddie problem, let me just tell you how socially anxious it is to walk into a lecture and being like, "Uh... time to go sit by myself and fidget with my hair.  God, why didn't I fill my thermos with wine?!"

I'm also going to throw in the fact that you will always have someone to do stuff with.  Pole dancing?  Check.  An art gallery opening?  Check.  A party at a sketchy frat basement? Check, check, check.


Three.
You learn how to be a leader.  Obviously, there are so many leadership opportunities within the sorority that you can partake in, but I'm not just talking about those.  You don't have to have an E-Board position to be a leader; you're a leader just by being a sister.  I mean, think about it: there are pledge classes below you who look up to you; there is your little (and grandlittles) who turns to you; and there are other sisters who come to you for support.  You learn to think not only for yourself, but for others as well.  You learn to act your best, even when you feel like watching Netflix and binge eating in your bed.  You learn to see that there is so much you can do to help and contribute -- not just in your chapter, but also in your community and in the world.

Like hello?  No wonder that 85% of the Fortune 500 executives were Greek.


Four.
The memories.  Look, it's not always going to be all fun and games, but for the most part, it actually is.  And it's not always a wild rager with red solo cups and keg stands -- I mean, yes, that happens, but it's not the only thing.  I'm talking about corny things like community service and sister bondings.  I'm talking about wearing matching apparels and bows and neon things without feeling self-conscious.  Late night noms and hungover Chinese and sundress brunches.  Shamelessly throwing what you know and sorority squatting in every picture and snapping instead of clapping.  Oh, and constantly using #sorrynotsorry both on Twitter and in real life.


So what do you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment